This comprehensive guide explores how to leverage AI copywriting tools successfully – researching options extensively, mastering capabilities, gathering client data, manual refinement, following proven frameworks, optimizing settings per format, collaborating closely with clients, and amplifying distribution. By combining AI’s raw power with human creativity and expertise, copywriters can increase efficiency dramatically while maintaining quality.
Artificial intelligence (AI) copywriting tools have exploded in popularity in recent years, allowing anyone to generate high-quality written content with just the click of a button. For copywriters and content creators, these tools provide an efficient way to research, outline, and even write complete drafts of everything from website copy to social media posts.
However, simply plugging a few keywords into an AI writing assistant doesn’t guarantee effective results. Creating compelling copy requires skill, strategic thinking, and human refinement. By combining AI’s raw power with human creativity and expertise, copywriters can scale content production while maintaining quality.
This comprehensive guide will walk through the key steps professionals need to leverage AI copywriting successfully, establish client relationships, refine outputs, and build a lucrative business. Let’s dive in.
Research the Best AI Copywriting Tools
Choosing the right AI copywriting tool for your needs is a crucial first step to success. With the market exploding with options, thorough research is required to identify the top contenders that align with your goals, budget, and capabilities.
Begin by browsing popular review sites like G2, Capterra, and Software Advice that analyze and compare features of leading tools. Look through expert roundups from trusted industry sources. Compile a list of 5-10 potential options for further investigation.
Next, visit each tool’s website to dig deeper into specifics. Create free trial accounts when possible to experiment first-hand. Assess each option against these key criteria:
- What content types are supported – blog posts, social media, ads, website copy, etc.?
- How much customization of outputs is allowed – tone, keywords, SEO, length, etc?
- Do they offer advanced capabilities like personalization, rewriting, and multiple language support?
- Can you train the AI engine with custom datasets to improve quality?
- How quick and streamlined is the copy generation process?
- Review sample content and examine closely for errors, awkward text, repetitiveness.
- Check readability level of outputs. Do sentences flow well?
- Try testing with niche keywords – does the tool cover specialized topics accurately?
- Look at any available metrics on revision rates required. Lower is better.
- What 3rd party software platforms does the tool integrate with – CMS, CRM, marketing, etc?
- Do they offer plugins for popular programs like WordPress, Shopify, HubSpot?
- Can you automate sending content from the tool to other platforms?
- What are the available payment plans – monthly, annual, flat fee?
- Is there a free version with limited usage? What limits apply?
- Calculate total estimated costs based on your output volume.
- Do they offer discounts for annual plans or high volume?
- Are there additional fees for integrations, features, or usage above monthly limits?
- Read through all available customer testimonials and case studies.
- Check third-party review sites for candid feedback on pros and cons.
- Watch video reviews and demos from real users sharing experiences.
- Join forums and groups to ask current users about performance.
Once you’ve thoroughly evaluated options against these criteria, narrow down to the 2-3 top contenders that score highest. Sign up for free trials of these final tools, and spend at least 1-2 weeks using them hands-on for various projects to determine the best fit long-term. Weigh all factors from quality of results to ease of use. Choose the one AI copywriting solution that best aligns with your business needs and goals.
Master the Software Capabilities
Once you’ve selected the best AI copywriting tool for your needs, dedicating sufficient time upfront to master its capabilities and settings is key to unlocking its full potential. Treat the tool like a creative partner, investing effort into the relationship to achieve stellar results.
Start by working through every feature and menu option within the software. For example:
- Editors – Get comfortable with any integrated WYSIWYG editors or text boxes for inputting prompts.
- Content Types – Look at all the pre-built templates and structures available for things like blog posts, social media, landing pages.
- Content Style – Explore how you can customize tone (formal, casual, humor), brand voice, length, reading level.
- Keywords – See how to feed in relevant keywords and tags to optimize outputs.
- Integrations – If available, connect to platforms like WordPress and see how content flows through.
- Training – Check for advanced capabilities to further train the AI with your own content examples.
Next, test how tweaking different settings impacts the copy produced:
- Try the same prompt with different tones – how does it change the text generated?
- Adjust length parameters to be concise or detailed.
- Add and remove keywords to make copy more targeted.
- Use brand voice presets vs generic to test accuracy.
- Mix and match settings like long-form + casual tone + brand voice.
Beyond self-guided exploration, leverage available resources to build expertise:
- Read manuals, help docs, and knowledge base articles for tips.
- Browse the tool’s blog and case studies for optimization best practices.
- Take advantage of live chat, email, and community support.
- Follow the tool company’s social channels for updates.
- Attend webinars and training sessions to learn from power users.
Dedicate 1-2 hours daily over several weeks to fully master capabilities. The time invested will pay dividends through the AI producing higher quality, customized copy catered to your clients’ needs. Treat the tool as an adaptive partner, and continuously look for ways to improve the collaboration.
Analyze Competitor Content
Performing in-depth competitive research should be a key step before creating any client content. Studying what works well for leading competitors in the industry provides invaluable insights to guide your AI copywriting strategy.
Conduct Competitor Analysis
- Identify 3-5 competitors in the client’s space creating high-performing content.
- Pull together a diverse sample of their content across different formats and platforms:
- Blog articles
- Product pages
- Landing pages
- Social media posts
- Paid ads
- For each piece, note engagement metrics like shares, comments, clicks, conversions.
Evaluate Content Strategies
Look at how the most successful pieces of content are structured and written. Take note of key strategies used:
- Personalization – Do they incorporate the reader’s name, industry, company? Create a 1:1 feel?
- Value proposition – How clearly and prominently is the core value stated?
- Emotional appeal – What emotions are elicited – trust, fear, hope?
- Call-to-actions – Are they direct, urgent, highly visible?
- Brand voice – What tone is used? Conversational? Humorous? Expert?
- Visuals – How are visuals integrated to enhance text? Charts, images, video, etc.
- Storytelling – Are narratives used effectively to connect with readers?
Brief the AI Tool
Use the strategic insights gleaned to inform how you set up and brief your AI copywriting tool when creating client deliverables:
- Feed the AI provider names, keywords, tone, or samples from top competitors to emulate.
- Provide instructions upfront to generate personalized, benefit-driven copy.
- Request copy that elicits specific emotions appropriate for the audience.
- Ensure the tool optimizes CTA language based on analysis of high-converting competitors.
Incorporating lessons from proven high-performing content in a client’s space will result in AI copy that closely aligns with audience expectations and preferences. This level of competitive optimization is possible with AI in a fraction of the time of manual analysis.
Learn Effective Copywriting
While AI copywriting tools can produce complete drafts of content, human copywriting expertise is still essential to refine and maximize quality. Investing in core copywriting skills will make you exponentially better at optimizing machine-generated text.
Key Copywriting Principles to Master
- Audience targeting – Research client audiences extensively. Analyze psychographics, demographics, behaviors. Craft messaging that aligns with motivations and pain points.
- Headlines – Study headline formulas and trends. Test different types like curiosity gaps, how-tos, lists, etc. Headlines make or break engagement.
- Hooks – Lead with compelling first sentences that capture attention. Ask questions, state benefits, use intriguing facts.
- Benefits – Emphasize emotional and functional benefits throughout copy. Focus on how the product/service solves problems.
- Value proposition – Distill why the offering is better than alternatives. Quantify value clearly. Repeat unique proposition throughout.
- Calls-to-action – Include strategically placed, urgent CTAs. Optimize language and placement for conversion rate lift.
- Visual language – Incorporate vivid details, powerful adjectives, metaphors, and analogies. Paint a picture with words.
- Storytelling – Structure engaging narratives that connect with readers. Use principles of conflict, arc, character development.
Sharpen Copywriting Skills
- Read books, blogs, newsletters on copywriting tactics. Immerse yourself in resources.
- Take courses and workshops. Many top copywriters offer online training programs.
- Study high-performing copy across niches. Deconstruct why it converts well.
- Practice writing copy manually. Apply teachings from resources consumed.
- Get copywriting certifications through organizations like AWAI.
- Test and iterate on copy effectiveness through A/B testing.
With a strong human grasp of persuasive copywriting principles, you can significantly enhance AI content and develop a high-level creative skill set. By mastering both AI capabilities and human expertise, your copy will maximize engagement and conversions.
Collect Client Data
One of the most critical steps in optimizing AI copywriting results is gathering extensive background information on each client’s brand, products, services, customers, and more. This data powers the tool’s ability to generate hyper-targeted copy tailored to each unique business.
Conduct Client Interviews
Schedule at least one in-depth interview with each client to understand their brand positioning and goals. Ask about:
- Target audiences and buyer personas
- Messaging and value propositions
- Content creation objectives
- Marketing initiatives and campaigns
- Competitor landscape
- Previous performance metrics
Develop a comprehensive questionnaire and have clients complete it. Include questions on:
- Brand voice guidelines and tone preferences
- Product/service features and benefits
- Customer pain points and motivations
- Unique selling propositions
- Common customer FAQs
- Pricing details
- Sales collateral they need created
Review Existing Materials
Gather any existing marketing materials the client can share like:
- Past campaign content – emails, ads, social media
- Website pages
- Product descriptions
- Presentations/sales materials
Review closely to analyze messaging, language, tone, etc.
Research the Brand
Dive into public information on the client’s business:
- Search engine results
- Website and social media pages
- Industry keyword research for relevant terms
- Online reviews and reputation
- Competitor websites
Feed the Data into your AI Tool
Upload relevant text samples, competitor info, keywords, and client instructions into the AI copywriting platform. This allows it to analyze patterns and language to generate on-brand, targeted copy. Refresh these inputs regularly.
With comprehensive data fueling it, the AI can produce tailored content that resonates deeply with each unique audience. Ongoing collaboration is key.
Follow a Content Creation Framework
Having a clear, repeatable framework for developing content will streamline your AI copywriting workflow and ensure consistent, high-quality results across clients and projects.
Define each step of your process:
- Conduct stakeholder interviews to understand goals, audiences, messaging.
- Gather all relevant data on the client’s business, products, services, and more through questionnaires, websites, existing materials.
- Perform competitive analysis on top players’ content strategies and tactics.
- Brainstorm topics, formats, and channels to reach target customers.
- Map out a structure for the piece aligned to objectives.
- For long-form, this may include headings, sections, word count targets, etc.
- For short-form, outline value props, key points, calls-to-action.
- Input the outline, client data, goals into your AI writing tool.
- Generate initial machine-written copy.
- Review the draft and make note of any glaring issues.
- Fix any factual errors, awkward phrasing, repetitiveness.
- Ensure brand consistency and accuracy of details.
- Boost engagement and readability through additions.
- Thoroughly edit copy manually for conciseness, clarity, persuasiveness.
- Check for typos, grammar problems, run-on sentences.
- Adjust structure and transitions as needed.
- Apply final design elements like colors, fonts, spacing.
- Insert images, graphics, videos as needed.
- Ensure mobile responsiveness if web or email content.
- Critically review the final draft against goals.
- Check that brand voice and tone are consistent.
- Share with stakeholders for feedback.
- A/B test variations when possible.
Standardize this framework across clients so each project is tackled efficiently. Adapt and improve the process continuously based on learnings. With a solid methodology, you can scale content creation confidently.
Optimize Your AI Settings
One of the key advantages of AI copywriting tools is the ability to customize output parameters based on the specific content format and goals. Taking the time to optimize settings will result in highly tailored copy for each client deliverable.
For each type of content you regularly produce, experiment with available options:
- Word count – Lengthy (2000+ words)
- Tone – Educational, expertise
- Paragraphs – 5+ sentence paragraphs
- Keywords – Insert relevant SEO keywords
- Outline – Include H2 subtitles, links, etc.
Social Media Posts
- Word count – Concise (100-250 words)
- Tone – Casual, conversational, humor
- Paragraphs – 1-2 sentences max
- Images/Video – Request visual assets
- Links – Insert hashtag, @mentions, links
- Word count – Medium length (500-1,000)
- Tone – Direct, benefit-focused
- Paragraphs – 3-5 sentences
- Images – Hero visual + supporting graphics
- CTAs – Prominent, benefit-driven
- Length – Concise paragraphs
- Tone – Personalized, emotive
- Images – Relevant visuals
- CTAs – Strategic placement, urgency
- Subject Line – Punchy, compelling
- Length – Very short copy
- Tone – Attention-grabbing, direct response
- CTAs – Clear, concise action phrase
- Offers – Lead with discount or incentive
Save these optimized profiles within the AI platform so you can reuse them for future client projects, adjusting the tone, keywords, and other details as needed per campaign. This level of customization takes seconds yet yields incredibly tailored, high-converting copy.
Manually Edit and Refine the AI Tool Output
While AI copywriting tools can produce complete drafts of content, expect to spend considerable time reviewing outputs and refining the copy manually before delivering it to clients. Never assume raw AI output is ready for publication without human editing.
Carefully Review Drafts
Read through AI-generated copy closely watching for:
- Repeated or awkward phrasing – Does anything sound robotic or forced?
- Spelling and grammar errors – Check for typos, punctuation problems.
- Unclear arguments – Do all sentences logically connect and support key points?
- Overused words – Scan for repetitive language and diversify vocab.
- Brand inconsistencies – Ensure messaging aligns with brand voice.
- Poor structure – Do sections flow well? Transitions may need smoothing.
Refine and Enhance
Look for ways to refine and enhance copy:
- Cut unnecessary content that dilutes core message.
- Expand on areas that need more detail or explanation.
- Add examples, analogies, and visual language to boost engagement.
- Strengthen key arguments and value propositions.
- Smooth clumsy transitions between sections and paragraphs.
- Replace overused words and phases with fresh alternatives.
- Ensure proper reader introductions and concluding recaps.
Improve the AI
- The more edits you make, the better the AI gets for future content. View manual review as further “training” the machine.
- Note any persistent weak areas and bugs to further optimize AI settings and inputs.
- Have clients flag portions that sounded “off” to fix similar issues proactively.
With sufficient refinement, machine-generated copy can meet high quality standards consistently. But the human touch remains essential.
Collaborate Closely with Clients
The most successful AI copywriters do not take a hands-off approach, simply generating content and tossing it over the fence to clients. Maintaining consistent, collaborative communication throughout the creation process is key to creating content that truly resonates.
Strategize Before Writing
- Start every project by aligning on target audience, brand voice, goals, and success metrics. Get a clear creative brief.
- Outline content together and agree on themes, offers, and angles before writing begins.
Share Iterations and Drafts
- Provide clients with rough initial drafts for early feedback before polishing.
- Welcome constructive criticism and discuss ways to improve drafts together.
- Share revised versions to ensure you’re on the right track creatively.
Explain Your Process
- Educate clients on your AI copywriting tools, creation process, and strategy. Set clear expectations.
- Share the research, competitive analysis, and optimization techniques applied.
- Openly discuss how AI benefits and limitations factor into the collaboration.
Review Performance Data
- Monitor engagement and conversion metrics once content is launched.
- Discuss what’s resonating with audiences and what can be improved.
- Brainstorm ideas together for iterations based on data.
Facilitate Two-Way Communication
- Check-in consistently outside of formal reviews to encourage ongoing feedback.
- Be responsive to client emails and requests rather than keeping them in the dark.
- Make clients feel heard, understood, and 100% satisfied.
By maintaining close collaboration in this way, you ensure the end product fulfills the client’s vision and achieves success milestones. The human touch remains vital even in AI-powered creation.
Promote Content Extensively
Getting eyeballs on content is just as important as creating high-quality copy. To maximize ROI for clients, develop and execute multi-channel distribution strategies that actively promote reach.
Leverage Owned Channels
- Share on the client’s social media accounts – Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Send in email newsletters and promotions to their subscriber list.
- Post on the company website, blog, and internal intranet.
- Feature in their mobile app notifications if relevant.
- Identify relevant publications and pitch them one-to-one to secure placements.
- Build relationships with industry influencers and send review copies.
- Distribute press releases to announce new content assets.
- Optimizing with SEO best practices for discoverability.
- Create social media ads pointing to the content across platforms.
- Retarget site visitors with ads reminding to read.
- Sponsor LinkedIn posts to reach expanded professional audiences.
- Purchase native advertising placements within niche websites.
- Use UTMs and tracking links to monitor traffic sources and engagement.
- Set up Google Analytics goals to quantify conversions and ROI.
- A/B test different headlines/visuals for the content.
Refine strategies based on data, doubling down on promotion channels demonstrating results. The impact of brilliant copy multiplies exponentially when paired with distribution effort.
AI copywriting tools offer immense potential to transform content creation, but simply plugging keywords into a text generator delivers mediocre results. As this comprehensive guide has explored, maximizing the technology requires investing significant time and strategic effort.
By researching the AI options extensively, mastering capabilities, optimizing settings per project, manually refining output, and promoting content effectively – human copywriters can utilize AI to increase efficiency dramatically while maintaining quality. Combining machine scale and automation with human creativity, language skills, and emotional intelligence yields the most powerful copywriting solution.
The multi-step methodology outlined of researching, outlining, drafting with AI, refinement, editing, formatting, reviews and revisions seems complex initially. But over time, developing processes to repeatedly create content across clients happens much faster than manual copywriting ever could. The upfront time spent training tools and workflows pays immense dividends long-term through radically reduced creation hours and overhead.
For independent copywriters and content agencies alike, AI unlocks the potential to handle exponentially more client work and expand writing businesses profitably. An individual can produce the content volume of an entire team. As skills improve with practice, copywriters graduate from service providers to high-value marketing strategists. Client needs evolve as well, shifting from one-off project requests to ongoing managed content programs.
But AI should augment people, not replace them. The best outcomes come from AI and humans working symbiotically – machine capabilities enhancing human creativity. There are tremendous opportunities for educators, creatives, technologists to collaborate on content strategies that blend strengths. Clients have an insatiable appetite for quality, original written content across every format and channel, presenting a vast market.
This guide only skims the surface of methods to tap AI’s potential. With the technology rapidly advancing, our understanding of how to maximize it will continue to expand. The copywriters who embrace this new creative frontier have an exhilarating ride ahead discovering innovations to better connect with audiences and drive results. The future of AI-powered writing is bright, but guiding the technology requires human hands.
- Here are expanded key takeaways based on the details covered throughout the guide:
- Take time upfront to thoroughly research the growing number of AI writing tools. Compare capabilities, accuracy, integrations, pricing models, and real user reviews.
- Invest heavily in mastering every aspect of your chosen tool’s interface, settings, and features. The more customized outputs become, the better results.
- Study high-performing competitor content extensively to identify proven messaging formulas, emotional appeals, etc. to inform your AI content strategies.
- Continuously build your skills in core copywriting principles like persuasion, visual language, storytelling, headlines, and more. This expertise is essential for refinement.
- Gather extensive intel on each client’s brand, products, audiences, messaging, guidelines, competitors, offers etc. to fuel detailed, tailored AI copy.
- Define a standardized end-to-end content creation framework encompassing research, outlining, drafting, revisions, formatting, reviews, and approvals.
- Optimize output settings like tone, length, keywords, paragraphs for every content type and format. Develop reusable profiles to streamline production.
- Expect to spend significant time manually reviewing and editing machine-written copy for errors, awkwardness, consistency, engagement, and persuasive impact.
- Maintain consistent client collaboration with status updates, draft reviews, launching strategy alignment, and performance data analysis. Don’t just deliver content.
- Build comprehensive promotion plans leveraging owned, earned, and paid channels. Monitor performance closely and continuously refine distribution tactics.
- As AI copywriting skills improve, handle more client work and expand services beyond writing to high-value strategy and planning.
With a passion for AI and its transformative power, Mandi brings a fresh perspective to the world of technology and education. Through her insightful writing and editorial prowess, she inspires readers to embrace the potential of AI and shape a future where innovation knows no bounds. Join her on this exhilarating journey as she navigates the realms of AI and education, paving the way for a brighter tomorrow.